- Easy Vegan Biryani
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Category: vegan, vegetarian, main
- Cuisine: Indian
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 –2 cups chopped or thinly sliced vegetables
- 3 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or one cinnamon stick)
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom (or 3 crushed cardamom pods)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Garnish: 1/4 cup cashews and chopped parsley or cilantro
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, until cooked through and golden brown. Lower the heat to medium, add the vegetables, garlic and ginger and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Take out a cup of the mixture and set it aside.
Add the herbs and bay leaf and mix for a minute while roasting the herbs. Add the basmati rice and mix for a minute. Add the stock and salt.
Garnish with the chickpeas, raisins and the cup of vegetables you set aside. Bring to a boil over high heat and reduce to a minimum. Cover the pot with a thin kitchen towel, place the lid on the towel, and bring the four corners of the towel to the lid. This will make the joint tighter and retain steam, allowing the rice to cook faster and more evenly.
Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until the rice has absorbed the liquid. See the notes. Check out Vegan Biryani and save with a fork. Finish with toasted cashews and cilantro. Serve with an optional chutney.
Instant or “Quick Cooking” Basmati Rice will not work well here. Brown basmati rice may require a few more minutes of cooking time. Check package directions for a cooking time each rice is different